Thread: Sherman-83 cj7 v8 3/4 ton @103" wb

lowballing someone

Sherman-83 cj7 v8 3/4 ton @103" wb

Well here is the new project that i have been working on for the last few months. In the recent tradition of the super secret build i thought i would wait till i had most of the parts and at least some progress made. I named it sherman like the wwll tank since i will be painting it an olive color with a white star on the doors and hood

to start i traded a transmission and some random 258 parts for a 83 cj7 frame, body and front clip. i even had it delivered. the original plans were to do it cheap and just enough to get it wheelable and trash but after getting into it i have decided to make it nice and take my time.

with some parts trading with junior i ended up with a 76 blazer with a shot body and another 350 that needed a rebuild. ive already gotten the block back from villas and have a rebuild kit in the garage waiting to be put together with a rv cam (yes i said it). i still need some tbi 350 heads but everything else i have to make the motor tbi. i'm going to put the t350 from the blazer behind it but still am not sure what to do about t-cases. i'm probably going to do a 203/300 doubler with a 4 to 1 which will give me a 2, 4 or 8 to 1 low range(i have both but still need the adapter)

As far as axles go i'm going to use a hd44(have 2 sets of spare shafts) on the front w/ 4.10 and open w/ hi steer and hydro assist and a srw 14 bolt in the rear welded with disk brakes and 4.10 gears. i also have an anti wrap bar in the works.

Suspension is soa with waggy springs in the front and xj rear with 1" drilled perches which will give me a wb of 103". The rear stretch is done with a btf kit and the front fullwidth will be homemade.

Tires are 37" tsl's on h1's but when i get a d60 for the front i will go to 42's

The body has been comp cut, the jeep will be boatsided and front tube fenders/ stinger with a clearanced hood are in the plans to protect the aluminum radiator and electric fan that will probably be mounted on the outside of the radiator.

I was going to go topless but i ended up with a hardtop cheap in a rediculous trade and i bought a set of hard doors a while ago for cheap.As the cage goes it will be hardmounted to the frame as well as the body being hard mounted. I am also thinking of modifying the hardtop into a half top.

I also have a pair of yellowtops that will go in and till i find a fuel cell there is an xj gas tank that will be strapped into the rear of the bed.
    Last edited by colman; 02-16-2008 at 09:42 PM.
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

lowballing someone
    here are a few pics

edit: damn give me a break i had some internet issues
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by colman; 02-16-2008 at 11:25 PM.
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

at the rate that he is working on it it wont be done fora few years

gawd damm it cook, fix the fawkin attached immages already.......
    'Cause if she don't,

just for you ed:

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

You Sir are a gentleman and a scholar.
    'Cause if she don't,

Quote Originally Posted by bcolman View Post
    at the rate that he is working on it it wont be done fora few years
    true. he is still collecting/trading parts. not to mention you cant even work on it with the other scrap sitting around it

i think he finally has it all. he just needs to put it together.

lowballing someone
    all that i am missing is an air cleaner, radiator hoses, doubler adapter and a trans temp guage and roll cage material i think. plus the time to do it all

Quote Originally Posted by colman View Post
    all that i am missing is an air cleaner, radiator hoses, doubler adapter and a trans temp guage and roll cage material i think. plus the time to do it all

wahh? i thought you already found the adapter used on pirate?

lowballing someone
    i did and had sent him the money via paypal but he then decided to sell it locally. he did refund my money and i understand not wanting to ship it but i got shafted

lowballing someone
    plans changed. i just got my hands on a fresh 401 and bought a m1008 for the axles. So now this will be 60 w/ 4.56 gears and a 14 bolt w/ 4.56 and detroit. going to run stock h1's with rim stiffeners on 37's for now cause i have them and upgrade later when i'm not broke again. still haven't decided what to do about a tranny and t-case but i have a 4x4 turbo350, the range box from a 203 and a d300 to play with for now. any opinions

lowballing someone
    guess what slightly new/ original plans. i got the doubler adapter together and bolted to the t350 and acquired a vortec 4.3. as far as the axles go i have a c&c 14 bolt and a chevy d44 that has beed narrowed 4" with 8 lug outers. all this are going into the cj that already has the btf rear stretch with 1" offset perches (7 inches total) and waggy springs in front (2 inch). the wheel base is 103 and the wms on the front is 63.5 and the rear is 63. for now and since it will be a long while till i get everything done its gonna sit on a set of hummer tires.

i'm going to go to the ranch and pluck the cj out of the weeds over spring break and bolt everything in and get the driveline in. my dad is sick of looking at it the way it is.