Thread: SAS: Towelie-Ban Truck

Threaded View

SAS: Towelie-Ban Truck

Well, I'm bored as **** at the office and all my bosses are at on-site meetings, so I figured it was time for me to make a thread about my truck.

As it sits right now:
    About as stock as it can be. 1998 IFS Toyota Tacoma SR5 with the TRD package. I've messed around in the engine compartment and done a few electical mods, but other than that, nothing.

My plans:
    44 up front
    keep the stock rear
    front bumper
    rear bumper
    sliders
    etc.

So far, I've picked up a 44 out of an 87 Waggy from a LHOR member in Austin that is pretty complete, minus a spindle nut and a caliper that I was going to replace anyway. I plan on building up the axle for a few month and locating parts before I begin the actual swap, which is scheduled tentatively in the fall of this year sometime. I've also bought some warn manual hubs from ebay for 65 shipped.

Currently, I'm looking at some flat top knucklesfrom a guy in Cali, drilled/tapped with studs and ball joints for 250 plus shipping; and trying to decide what tires/gears to run. I initially planned on 35's with either 4.56 or 4.88, but after reading through some posts on pirate and ttora, I think 37s and 4.88s might work better with the gearing combination, as I've heard good reports of the road manners with them and I will be dd'ing this truck for a while. I am concerned about the cost of stepping up from 35s to 37s though, as far as new shafts and possibly ctm's for the front and shafts and some sort of longfield for the rear. I had hoped to not mess with the rear yet, so I might have to stick with 35s until some breakage allows me to upgrade.

edit:
    These are the knuckles I'm planning on buying. I've found other flat tops on eBay, but by the time I buy/ship and have them machined, drilled, and tapped, I figure 250 is worth it. Unless doug wants a project...
    Last edited by JeepPhisherman; 03-20-2006 at 02:58 PM.