Thread: Looking for a Diesel

Hybrid View

I like how every diesel threads turns into a "you don't need a diesel" thread.

Anyhow, Have you thought about getting an automatic? Standards in the Fords are not very common and almost always demand a premium. The auto's have a bad name but it's pretty easy to get 100k miles, especially since your only planning on towing a bronco.

Having someone replace the auto: $1500-2000 (done this)
    Having someone put in a stock clutch: $800-1200 (estimate)
    Having someone put in a southbend clutch: $1800 (quoted this before)

I've been converted to auto's, I spend more time offroad than I do pulling anything and the auto is better suited for this.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Quote Originally Posted by JBrown89 View Post

Cons:
    more expensive up front
    more $ to maintain
    more $ to repair
    more $ to fill up (i think?)

Pros:
    circle jerks with Tyler and Travis
    you can pull 4 rigs across I70 once a year
    copious amounts of smoke
    higher resale if you don't rice it out
    you can idle all night

Its your decision
    for all 160k on my truck. i replaced the lift pump for $125. 10k oil change intervals at $70 (including fuel filter). i replaced my front rotors and pads for $215. the rear brakes are still factory. found a decent ceramic clutch for $450, doing the install myself. so maintaining one isnt more expensive in my book. i spent over 2k on my old gas dodge. auto trans was $1800 alone.
    meh on the mileage, 18 city, 22 highway. diesel is about 35 cents more a gallon and twice the fun.

i can also pull colmans trailer at 80mph, with 6k on it, get 16mpg. set the cruise and never know its behind me.

Im also a firm believer in muffs, so quit putting me in the fag category

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    I've been converted to auto's, I spend more time offroad than I do pulling anything and the auto is better suited for this.
    cause your a pus'say

47RE also sucks ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post

Im also a firm believer in muffs, so quit putting me in the fag category
    I heard this was up for debate...

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07 View Post
    I heard this was up for debate...

hoping someone would catch that blackflipoff

i replaced my front rotors and pads for $215. the rear brakes are still factory.
    That is up for debate

2wd's also suck ass

Also Walmart will change your oil and vacuum your cab for $55.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

for all 160k on my truck. i replaced the lift pump for $125. 10k oil change intervals at $70 (including fuel filter). i replaced my front rotors and pads for $215. the rear brakes are still factory. found a decent ceramic clutch for $450, doing the install myself. so maintaining one isnt more expensive in my book. i spent over 2k on my old gas dodge. auto trans was $1800 alone.
    meh on the mileage, 18 city, 22 highway. diesel is about 35 cents more a gallon and twice the fun.

i can also pull colmans trailer at 80mph, with 6k on it, get 16mpg. set the cruise and never know its behind me.
    seems close, but optimistic. maybe with bargain bin parts and fluids. also, 10k is a while to go without at least a filter change and oil sample.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    seems close, but optimistic. maybe with bargain bin parts and fluids. also, 10k is a while to go without at least a filter change and oil sample.
    I use Rotella T and its not more then $15/gallon (3 gallons). Oil filter ~$10.00. Fuel Filter ~$15.00. That is $70... i dont think his $70 is out of line and they arent crappy parts. also, i regularly go 10k between oil changes. the owners manual specifies that interval so long as the conditions arent dirty....
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Quote Originally Posted by StevenAg03 View Post
    I use Rotella T and its not more then $15/gallon (3 gallons). Oil filter ~$10.00. Fuel Filter ~$15.00. That is $70... i dont think his $70 is out of line and they arent crappy parts. also, i regularly go 10k between oil changes. the owners manual specifies that interval so long as the conditions arent dirty....
    bingo. How come a medium duty truck with a 5.9L can get its ass worked off and changed every 10k. yet my dodge hauling my ass around cant do the same? that also goes for a DT444E as well.

18 around b/cs is about what i get. ive never gotten less than 17 unless im pulling a trailer.

the lift pumps for a 555 series cummins were discontinued. they arent the same as a 24v or a 600 series. i wasnt going to drop $400 on a in tank or aftermarket and found one online for $125. i got lucky.

True Hollywood Stry
    John brown what number transmission are you on with your f-150? I thought you were worried about your trans again on the way to Clayton? Towing a lifted and modified bronco with a half ton is not a good idea. His bronco weighs about 5300 stock plus add ons. Let's say another 1500 for a trailer and you are most likey exceeding the gwvr for most half tons he could afford.

If his parents want to buy him a nicer truck more power to him. Most people in this club have tow rigs or have someone with a tow rig trailer their rig for them. Karl got a really nice truck for a really good price. I'm sure he can find a good deal once he knows what he wants and realizes it will take some time to find. I'm quite sure you can get a good truck for 10k.

Good luck finding your truck man.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

ill be your pickup man
    Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    John brown what number transmission are you on with your f-150? I thought you were worried about your trans again on the way to Clayton? Towing a lifted and modified bronco with a half ton is not a good idea. His bronco weighs about 5300 stock plus add ons. Let's say another 1500 for a trailer and you are most likey exceeding the gwvr for most half tons he could afford.

If his parents want to buy him a nicer truck more power to him. Most people in this club have tow rigs or have someone with a tow rig trailer their rig for them. Karl got a really nice truck for a really good price. I'm sure he can find a good deal once he knows what he wants and realizes it will take some time to find. I'm quite sure you can get a good truck for 10k.

Good luck finding your truck man.
    My first trans failure was due to a reverse burnout. Dumb. My 2nd trans is being fixed right now due to being driven 120+ miles a day for the past 2.5 years and having 160k miles on it. You are dumb if you think these newer trucks can't pull 8k. I have maintained it otherwise and it has been a better truck than I ever imagined.

My Bronco weighs more than that, my trailer weighs more than that, and I pull anywhere from 65-75mph. Jackasses that pull that weight faster are ****ing dumb.

So you think he should buy a ragged out 10k diesel vs. a nicer gasser for the same $. Dumb.
    Last edited by JB; 12-30-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4