Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Big NASTY

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler

to reattach it i will either have it tig'd, but prolly not cause this will prolly cost me a good amount of money.
    Is it aluminum? You'd have to get a pretty damn good welder to do it if so. Thin **** is not easy. All thought welders that good usually pride themselves with being able to weld thin, like the guy at mike's old work that could tig together aluminum cans.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

True Hollywood Stry
    yes its alumninium, and i haveheard it is a huge biatch to weld so i assume i will be doing the homebrew method.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    When you drill the mounting holes, just drill them a hair over size so that you can adjust it to fit tight. You will be able to see the cut lines, but if you get it tight enough they shouldn't be too bad. I was thinkin that this thing was plastic for some odd reason. I would ask my dad to weld it, but I would rather you kick me in the junk than have to talk to him at this point in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler
    yes its alumninium, and i haveheard it is a huge biatch to weld so i assume i will be doing the homebrew method.
    If you want to you could give it to me and I can take it down to brenham and have it tig'd.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

I can weld it up if you get it up here as long as it is thicker than the bottom of a beer can, that is the thinnest that I can weld with the machines that I have access to
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    Is it aluminum? You'd have to get a pretty damn good welder to do it if so. Thin **** is not easy. All thought welders that good usually pride themselves with being able to weld thin, like the guy at mike's old work that could tig together aluminum cans.
    Well I think welding aluminum cans works well cause its a really good grade of aluminum so it welds decent.

Fricks grill is probably some sorta pot metal alum and I bet it does not weld for crap. It could be magnesium that stuff does not weld for crap.

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    Well I think welding aluminum cans works well cause its a really good grade of aluminum so it welds decent.

Fricks grill is probably some sorta pot metal alum and I bet it does not weld for crap. It could be magnesium that stuff does not weld for crap.

seconded

I thought mag was like Ti just needed to be welded in an helium or argon enclosure. the that people say that about ti are usually the ones trying to weld it in an oxygen rich environment it is probably just another metal that needs to be fully enclosed in gas. but what the fawk do I know never welded mag.

Quote Originally Posted by tigweld
    I thought mag was like Ti just needed to be welded in an helium or argon enclosure. the that people say that about ti are usually the ones trying to weld it in an oxygen rich environment it is probably just another metal that needs to be fully enclosed in gas. but what the fawk do I know never welded mag.
    I've welded Ti regularly and didn't see anything bad. It did leave all sorts of pretty colors, but was pretty easy to weld. Althought it was commercially pure and only welded a couple of 1" beads.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by tigweld

never heard of anyone welding magnesium. i hear its kinda flammable so i guess it would definately need to be in an inert gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    I've welded Ti regularly and didn't see anything bad. It did leave all sorts of pretty colors, but was pretty easy to weld. Althought it was commercially pure and only welded a couple of 1" beads.

if you are doing small stuff you can just crank the gas flow up and be ok. it baths the weld area in gas and keeps the 02 out.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    The grill on those, like Frick said is aluminum, however it is as I understand it annodized aluminum, that is why no matter how much you polish it, it never really shines, I am not sure what welding would do to the finish. I would lay a thicker strip of aluminum behind and weld it to that.

Or I would take 5 gallons of paint thinner, coat the entire truck and throw match......
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

I would weld the backside and leave a small but hardly noticiable gap in the frot
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

the heat is still going **** up the anodizing on the front. i say you take a piece of the grill you cut off and make a cover plate and put a pop rivet on either side

your grill is ****ed up on the pass side anyway. i wouldn't spend much time or money on it

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

fbronco86
    I once used some JB weld and popsickle sticks and glued the grill of a 86 s-10 pickup back together.

Someone used the front of the truck for batting practice. Worked great.